Well one would think that the last post on alternative medicine vs conventional medicine said enough, given its painful length…but were we wrong! Yes…I have warned our readers that once you get me talking about holistic medicine, you better get comfy and sit back – let your dog out first – because it goes on and on. Cannot help it. When you have a dozen years of studying, learning, living and breathing this (plus trying it out on your own body), it is very difficult to squeeze it into one post!
Anyway, we received a comment on our last post from Dave (see his Flip Flop Vector Blog! ). He was asking if we could offer guidance as to where to find an alternative medicine doctor, given many rvers aren’t in one place too long. We will definitely share some info in this post, to help out, but you need to understand the “system” a little bit first…because we are so used to the way conventional medicine works.
So here are the first things to understand:
- Unlike conventional medicine, where you can have a primary doctor at home, yet still pop into a clinic anywhere along your route, when traveling in your rv, alternative medicine works differently. You are going to want to choose one, keep your rv there for a bit while testing and getting to know your provider intimately…and that’s about it. So if you have a holistic doctor, then you go traveling about and start to feel ill, you aren’t going to start the process over with a new holistic practitioner in Kentucky. You can still keep in touch with your main doc when on the road, but it is important to work with ONE.
- So what happens if you get sick when 2000 miles away from your doctor? Obviously for a broken leg or medical emergency, you need to go to a local clinic wherever you are rving. But in our experience, we don’t run to a holistic doctor for a case of the sniffles. Those days are over. You can call your doc (many allow phone consults) to update your condition, if there are changes concerning you while on the road.
- You will have to stop looking for a quick fix. We are trained to have a symptom, then run to a conventional clinic in hopes they relieve the symptom…usually in the form of a pill. A holistic doctor is going to look at your whole body, how one thing may be impacting the next. All of your symptoms will be studied with the goal being to rid yourself of them all. This will take time, tweaking, etc…but the end result is worth the patience required to heal your whole body.
- The key to maintaining health involved the immune system. Your immunity will fight germs, bacteria, disease and even cancer. At the end of this post we are putting links to some of the products we researched for years, which have seemed to keep us from catching any colds for years.
OK…NOW ONTO THE “RESOURCES” FOR ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
We were amazingly lucky to have one of the top holistic MDs in our little NW Montana county…so we didn’t have to search at all. But we can steer you in the right direction and give you some great resources, too.
Our doctor, William Ferril MD, toured the country with the “father” of alternative medicine…Dr. Jonathan Wright. You will see his name referred to everywhere, and with good reason. He has been the most influential force in natural treatments since becoming an MD in 1969. We’re not going to tell you everything here, but will provide links so you can read about him yourself.
IF YOU ARE ABLE TO RV IN THE SEATTLE AREA FOR A LITTLE BIT…THEN ABSOLUTELY LOOK NO FURTHER AND GO TO HIS TAHOMA CLINIC IN SEATTLE (founded in 1973).
This Is The Link To His Clinic And His Bio
Also, his newsletter is fantastic…full of the most helpful information out there.
This Is The Link To His Health Newsletter
If Seattle is just an impossibility for you and your rv itinerary, then here is a good resource:
The American Holistic Medical Association (AHMA)
Some words of warning:
- Just like foods in the grocery aisle that say “healthy” when they are nothing of the sort, people throw around titles like holistic, alternative and natural as well. One of the reasons alternative medicine has a negative stigma is because of those using it to make a profit. You have to do your research and find someone, like Dr. Wright, who has been advocating natural approaches for years.
- The biased media and panicking pharmaceutical companies love to bury the stories about Big Pharma products that are hurting people while raising fear in alternative medicine therapies. Businesses have a lot to lose, because they cannot patent “natural” products. Bio-identical hormones is the biggie. Synthetic estrogen has been shown to cause cancer, yet Big Pharma tries to get compounding pharmacies shut down. Develop your own opinion and be wary of the messenger 100% of the time.
- Not all alternative practitioners are alike. My doctor is also an MD. There are integrative medicine doctors who practice conventional and alternative therapies. Some aren’t MDs at all (and I am not saying they aren’t just as good…they don’t have the bias of mainstream medicine education!). Just know they aren’t all alike…research, research, research.
- Nope…your current health insurance (if you have it) will not pay for your consult. The beauty is that you won’t walk out of these offices with $8000 in tests and expensive prescriptions. Consider it an investment in the present, for saving money big time in the future.
So that should cover how to find a holistic doctor. Now we’re going to lay out all of our resources/recommendations out there – and that should cover the alternative medicine on our rv blog once and for all….
NOTE: FOR THE FOLLOWING RECOMMENDATIONS BELOW, JUST CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO BE TAKEN TO THE PAGE WHERE YOU CAN LEARN MORE ABOUT THEM
So let me ask…do you take over the counter antacids? Have you been “convinced” by your doctor and television ads that our entire country has acquired a rare condition of producing too much stomach acid? It isn’t true…our stomachs provide all the acid we need to get the job done. Your discomfort comes from the type of foods you eat, the quantity and, very likely, food allergies. When you suppress stomach acid, you reduce the acid needed to BREAK DOWN the food properly. What comes along with poor absorption of nutrition? A weak immune system. Dr. Jonathan Wright has been healing these conditions with actually adding acid to aid in effective digestion.
Get these two things, pronto, if you are self medicating with antacids – they are affordable and will change your life. The DGL is taken when we get heartburn, etc.:
This book by Dr. Wright is from when it all began (1979) but the case studies and his approaches are timeless. A great introduction to Dr. Wright (yes, I’ve read it) and to see his work in action, treating patients with various debilitating diseases effectively. A must read. (It is only a penny!) Dr. Wright has obviously written many books…but I like this oldie but a goodie, even if outdated (much has been learned since 1979, of course).
Immune boosters that have worked for us all these years below. We are not wealthy, so keep in mind you can space them out, use 2 one day and 2 the next, etc.
You can buy larger bottles of Grifron maitake mushroom to save money – and I use 1/2 dropper every other day to save on the cost.
You only use a few drops of Oreganol – it lasts forever
Garlic is nature’s antibiotic. If we feel run down, we take megadoses. Otherwise, just one a day.
I drink this every other day, with rice milk, in lieu of breakfast (Jim doesn’t) – absorbing vitamins in liquid form or under the tongue is much better than tablets, etc…especially if your digestion is in flux (a multivitamin could pass right by and not give the nutritional benefits).
Of course, this isn’t all that is in our “medicine cabinet.” We also use milk thistle for our liver, dandelion root (more to follow below regarding cancer research) is another great immune booster. I drink the shake above so I don’t have to buy one supplement of everything (magnesium, b vitamins, C, E, etc…). Our dog, Hannah, even takes THIS PRODUCT and no longer gets UTI’s.
Now some final words……….
Why is it such a stretch to believe nature might not provide all that we need? Jim and I have known about dandelion root and its positive impact on beating cancer for years – actual stories of lung cancer victims beating their cancer. FINALLY a very recent news story sheds positive light on what we learned years ago – a grant was approved to study dandelion root and cancer (in Canada, of course…not the USA). Read The Story Here! Also, just Google “dandelion root cancer” and start reading…you will be amazed. Don’t run out and by some dead dandelion root tablet – the best method is to make dandelion root powder yourself (or buy it from a reputable supplier). We also stumbled on Grifron Maitake years ago – same promising cancer studies. We don’t believe there is a magic bullet – the idea is that these products are such powerful immune boosters, they go to battle on cancer, etc.
I try to live peacefully…and I stopped sharing my information with others because it is a personal journey and I had said more than enough. I was exhausted from trying to spread the news for a decade (Suzanne Somers has worked with Dr Wright…and look at the press she is being given). However, even just last year, someone remembered my emails and referred a friend to share my info…so the message did stick, with some. But, and no offense to the great MDs out there, people defend conventional medicine sometimes like a cult following..that there is something wrong with anyone who would question our modern practices. I just got tired of the battle – I look at all of the over the counter products in everyone’s shopping carts, the cry for affordable health care and prescriptions in a system I stay far away from when possible, the biased media/stigma that keeps everyone from thinking outside of the box…yep, exhausted.
But here I am again…doing a “once and for all” post on this topic – and I feel it again. What really gets me fired up is when alternative medicine is compared to witchcraft, torn apart by biased media and unfairly attacked by Big Pharma (whose meds are often, ironically, the true dangers). Certainly the high tech, conventional medical field has only existed for a second when compared to the length of time humans have been here on the planet. Were the only humans fortunate enough to get “real” medical help having to live only in this past century? That is illogical to me, if you take time to think about it. I want to know why everyone needs so much damned health care, to be honest. Why isn’t anyone asking that question? Wouldn’t the cheapest route being not needing to see your doctor 6 times a year?
So you know, I have had family members with cancer, and lost family members to cancer – and my family has lost their beloved PETS to cancer…but I am always amazed when people get angry and say “modern medicine saved my life!” Of course that is the case and it is wonderful to hear stories like this. Medicine can give you a mastectomy and chemo to save your life from breast cancer (or tests to catch it early). Medicine can relieve pain for those suffering as well. I completely get this.
But here is my point – what I want to know is why children, teens, humans, pets are getting so sick! I’m not talking about infectious diseases that spread around the globe…I am talking about the terrifying incidence of cancer, diabetes, autoimmune diseases in people and pets of all ages that didn’t exist before and, if they did, they were rare cases. I would much rather learn how to PREVENT illness instead of having a mastectomy. I would love more media on synthetic estrogen, its true dangers (given to women, young and old in birth control pills and hormones later in life) and it’s correlation to breast cancers (this is just one example of one illness).
To me, conventional medicine seems to be inventing ways to suppress symptoms or “cure” us from illnesses our current lifestyles are CAUSING US TO HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE! That isn’t acceptable. I want conventional doctors to stop giving me pills to mask my symptoms and removing body parts and, instead, find out what I am doing that is causing the symptoms.
The human body is pretty miraculous. It survived to this day living in climates without central heating and Columbia down coats. It survived without having to eat every item on the food pyramid (no convenient store to run to or grocery store full of everything under the sun). Yep, even some mainly just ate meat/protein (no offense to vegetarians) and didn’t worry about cholesterol (by the way, a lot of interesting research in why we have food allergies now is, before transportation, we ate what was native to our area – after transportation, we started appearing all over the globe…we are “mutts” now 🙂 ). So that is the only challenge I present here…just stop for a minute and remember, even just 100 years ago, things were very different…how did we get to this point?
I truly understand how modern medicine is saving lives. How young women aren’t dying from cancer because of mastectomies and mammograms. Treatments are saving lives of young children. Life is precious and who wouldn’t celebrate surviving cancer? But it is possible, at the same time, to question what is really going on here. It is possible to believe that we might be causing ourselves to be a very sick society. I’m glad my grandmother beat cancer for ten years (it returned later)…though the chemo tore her immune system apart and she lost both breasts – I sure wish she never had to endure cancer in the first place.
So people feel they need health insurance, and we empathize, because we cannot afford a brief $800 consult for basic care and a quick dose of silver nitrate either (like my previous post referred to). People are giving up their lives so they can afford health insurance, copays, prescriptions. We, too, believe life is precious – much too precious, in fact, which is why we opened our eyes and looked outside of the conventional medicine box. To keep getting sick, spend fortunes in receiving the almighty diagnosis, run to the doctor and receive life long prescriptions or expensive procedures to “manage” symptoms instead of reverse them…that, my friends, isn’t medicine to me.
***Dave, aren’t you glad you commented on my other post? 🙂
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.